Autumn is upon us, even if the weather doesn’t particularly reflect that (at least here in NJ) right now! One thing that has been really helpful for me in my self development journey, is learning to celebrate and live by the seasons. Nature offers us so much wisdom. As human beings, we are part of the natural world. By making peace with the different seasons and getting curious about the gifts that they have to offer us, we learn to live closer to nature.
One of my favorite ways to celebrate the change of seasons is by having simple seasonal rituals in place. If you follow me on Instagram and Facebook, you may have seen a photo I posted of my daughter June and I celebrating the Autumn Equinox by having an outdoor picnic and reflecting back on the seeds that we planted last spring, that are now coming to fruition. As I thought back on the springtime, I remembered that June was just beginning to string sentences together, and I was still adapting to my role as a full time stay at home mom, and learning to be more patient and present. We have both come a long way since the spring, and it was nice to have this little ritual to anchor us into the celebration. I like to have June be a part of my seasonal rituals, and she is only 2 years old, we kept this ritual simple and basic, but you can feel free to make it as extravagant as you wish.
I encourage you to take some time to celebrate where you are right now, this autumn. What seeds have you planted that are now coming to fruition? You can gather with friends and family and discuss this together, or make it your own private time. The important thing is that you take a moment to think about what you were desiring for your life just a few months ago, and think about the progress you have made, even if you didn’t realize it at the time. Think about the changes, big and small, that have occurred for you in the last several months. Then choose a fall inspired activity to help you celebrate!
Here are some ideas for ways to celebrate the arrival of autumn:
- Go apple picking
- Walk through a corn maze
- Go pumpkin picking
- Put up a festive fall wreath on your front door
- Bake an apple pie or apple crumble
- Light fall scented candles
- Use warming essential oils like clove, ginger, and cedarwood
- Purchase fall scented cleaning products (my favorites are from Mrs. Meyers, who always comes out with the best fall scents like apple cider and mums)
- Go on a nature walk with no phone and no distractions
- Hunt for leaves and see how many different colors you can find
- Make a nature mandala out of leaves, acorns, rocks, or whatever you can find in your backyard
- Cozy up by a fireplace
- Add some seasonal fall decor to your home
- Color your hair a darker hue
- Buy a new cozy blanket or sweater
- Paint your nails in fall colors
- Make a leaf crown, instead of a flower crown
- Create a fall craft
Have fun with these ideas, and make them your own! Take some time to welcome in the fall season and celebrate all of the bounty and blessings in your life.
What in your life are you celebrating this fall? What will you do to celebrate? Let me know in the comments below!
Happy Fall, y’all!